Monday, May 11, 2009

Two Dogs, Which Do I Feed?



I understand this is a quote used in some books and even a movie. I was introduced to it by a friend. She is an active mom. She is always coming up with interesting ways to focus her children's attention, and challenge them to be their best. One day I stoped by and noticed she had written on her microwave (in Neon Green Wet Erase marker). "WHICH DOG WILL YOU FEED?" I thought they were dividing chores. I had to know more. When I asked her what that meant and she told me this story:



"A Native American Elder once described her own inner struggles in this manner: 'Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean, he growls and bits. The other dog is kind and good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time.' When asked which dog wins, he paused to reflected for a moment and then replied, 'The one I feed the most."


We all have inner struggles and times when you have to chose; hope or despair, confidence or doubt, forgiveness or anger, turmoil or peace.......

It should be an easy choice ... but for some reason it is not easy. Maybe it is because we have to walk past that mean dog in order to feed the good one.



Which dog will you feed?






on a side note: These are our two dogs, Gypsy and Max. They are both well fed, and both good dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment