Monday, June 29, 2009

Sunday Fidgets

I feel like I wrestled my way through mass this Sunday. My three year old was in rare form. He wiggled, and squirmed for the whole hour. He even managed to dash out of the pew a few times. I knew better then to sit in the back. I am not a front pew person, but somewhere in the middle seems to work out best for me and my kids. Close enough to see, yet not so far back they feel like no one can see them.

The reading was Mark 5: 21-43. The sermon was about finding Jesus. Not just waiting for him to find you, but looking for him. Not just asking for him to find your loved ones, but taking them to him.

So there I am in the next to the last pew, wrestling my 3 year old, taming my 5 year old, and wondering why I go through this self inflicted torcher every Sunday. There is my answer in Mark 5: 21-43. It is because I love them. It is because I am trying to lay a foundation they can rest on. I want them to know God is there for them when times are tough, but also recognize He is there when times are good. I want them to grow to be strong men, with strong morals.

So here I am struggling to hear the message. Everyday, we do what we think is best for our family, and sacrifice to make our children's lives better. For us that means my husband usually works two jobs. I help with the family business, and try to keep the house in order. We save what we can. We provide them with clothes, food, shelter, and love. I want to protect them from the world, but know I can't. I ask God to keep them safe, and give me what I need to help my children grow to become men of substance.

It is not easy for me to bring my children to church. What would happen if I didn't? If we never went, what age would they learn to behave in church? Would they know to find comfort in the Lord if I didn't take them to Him? Where would they turn when times are tough? Who would they praise when times are good? It is not easy being a parent. It is not easy, but it's not suppose to be easy.

I'll see you next Sunday! Look for me, I'm the one in the bench with all the fidgets;) Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment