Monday, March 7, 2011

Why Jumping Jelly Beans

This was one of my first posts. Donald has been adding to our art gallery lately. I thought it was time to retell the story of the Jumping Jelly Bean.
When visitors come to my house they usually comment on our artwork. I love art. It can speak in ways that words can’t. What it says to one person, is not what it says to the next. Lately, the artwork that they comment about most, are not the paintings framed on the wall. Our guests give the most attention to the murals drawn in crayon and marker.

All three of my boys have considered “wall art” a prime medium at one time or another. I remind myself this is only a stage they go through. I try to keep it in perspective. In 10 years our problems will be bigger, and much more complicated. Unfortunately, I have a feeling most of our future problems will not be able to be fixed with a fresh coat of paint. I am going to enjoy this simple life while I can. This doesn’t mean that I keep every creative item my boys leave on the wall. I believe there must be a place in heaven for the inventor of the Magic Eraser. That white rectangle has brought a small slice of sanity to my life. Every Christmas and Easter, I go through the house, and try to create a clean slate on my walls. There has to some since of balance to this chaos.

There are a few pieces of art that last longer than others. The jumping jelly bean of course is one of those long term pieces. It has stayed with us longer than most, because it is drawn in permanent maker. Jelly Bean will be with us until we repaint the bedroom. I have mixed feelings about Jelly Bean. My middle child drew him. He must have been standing on a box when he drew him. Jelly Bean is at least 4 foot tall. He is taller than Nicholas was when he created him.

At the time Nicholas was not drawing faces, and had no interest in pencil and paper (obviously). So this was a bit of a breakthrough in his self expression. He was so proud of his creation. When I walked into the room, I held back my initial reaction. I simply asked him to tell me about his drawing. He exclaimed with a giggle and a hop, hop, bounce…”It’s a jumping jelly bean!” I stood there for a moment then replied, "Of course it is. How could I miss that?"

That has been two years now. Jelly Bean is still on my wall. I pick out colors to repaint the bedroom, but I can’t settle on anything. Maybe it’s the bean. I think I might miss him, and these memories, when we finally repaint. I have a friend who says, “Perspective is key. Perspective gives you a since of calm. Calm leads to peace. Peace leads to happiness.” May your life be full of perspective, peace, and happiness. I also hope they are full of colorful memories that are treasured.

The original jumping jelly bean has faded away. Now most of our new artwork comes from Donald, our youngest. This is a portrait he drew of the two of us. We are riding on a caterpillar. He says I am driving, and he is in his car seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment