Friday, April 24, 2009

Garden memories




Gardens are great places to make memories.





My family has a tradition of sharing plants and flowers from our gardens. My aunts give plantings and seeds to my mom. After they take hold, she in turn shares them with us. I have Gaillardia from my Aunt Aggie. I enjoy the Japanese Iris, and white Veronica from my mother in law. On the end of the garden are pink Peonies from one of my favorite neighbors. I have lots of interesting plants from my sister, including something we call “the mutant cabbage”. (It’s not really a cabbage. It just looks like one, and in the spring it shoots out a tall stalk with purple flowers”).

My favorite are the Lilly of the Valley. It is from a batch that originates from my Grandmother’s flower garden. They are my favorite for several reasons. They are a reminder of my Grandmother who passed away when I was very young. Having them here is like having a bit of her spirit in my garden every spring. They are also a piece of my past. My mother grew them in her flower box. They had a special spot where they flourished. As a child I would pinch off the blooms. I would pretend they were tiny bells that only angels could hear. I love having them in my garden. I smile when my boys call them “bell flowers”. I can picture my Grandmother in heaven listen to those “little bells”. I like to think she would be smiling too, knowing they were enjoying her flowers.

When these plants emerge from the ground after a long winter, they lift my spirits. Each one carries a memory of someone special. If you have plants that are taking over, think of sharing them with someone else. Spring is a wonderful time to make new memories. Have a happy spring, and enjoy the flowers.







I love to hear about family traditions. Do you have any you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment